Friday 25 November 2011

Farewell to a friend

Today we said farewell to a very special friend - Jill. The photo above in her memory is of her favourite rose the pierre de ronsard climbing rose - Jill was the very proud owner of a spectacular one climbing over an arch near her front door. I tried to find an image of one and stumbled across this lovely blog; The Laurel Hedge and then found the blogger is a local from our beautiful Adelaide hills. (fate strikes again)

Now to Jill..............I met Jill several years ago in a class. She was "the stunning lady with the bouffant hair", as only Jill could do! After some time she informed me that she had a "Michele Hill" folder at home and had done many of my designs in tablecloths for friends.....tablecloths?? - my goodness! Over time Jill kept 'popping up' in classes and her William Morris pattern folder was getting very full.

 Over time I got to know Jill better and we spent many times together stitching and chatting. She also gave me advice and support in the 'business world' ...always wanting the best for me. When Jill found out I was doing a second book she jumped on board and asked if she could help. Obviously the tablecloth was the project for Jill so she set to and extended my design on a beautiful damask cloth complete with napkins.....
I insisted that the publisher have a photo of all the helpers and this is one of my favourites with Jill having a chuckle in the back with Val........just wish the photo wasn't so blurred. The photos were taken in Jill's beautiful home - roses and all!

Those of you who have the More William Morris Applique book will recognise this image with Jill in the centre. All this time Jill was battling cancer but never complained, in fact Jill told me many times that my designs and her stitching brought her much comfort and gave her purpose during difficult times.

This past year Jill has worked tirelessly to make sure all her grandchildren had a quilt. I have lost count of how many of my designs she completed on top of these family quilts - I can think of ten and at least six of them were large bed quilts. I will try to get photos from the family if I can. Last year while I was away Jill completed two new Block of the Month sample quilts - not content with the cream one she had to do a black one as well......one shop has reaped the rewards from this decision.


Recently Jill gave me some precious pieces of amazing needlework made especially for our 'soon to be first grandchild'. Jill was not only a great quilter but also an amazing smocker and embroiderer. This is what she gave me..........



 And I have a beautiful tablecloth made just for me...........

We will all miss Jill terribly but I am so glad I got to share the time I did with her and that I had the opportunity to tell her how much she meant to me (even if I didn't share in her beloved footy!). What a legacy she has left behind for so many to enjoy. Our thoughts are with her husband Peter, her two beautiful daughters Amanda and Lucy and her dearly loved grandchildren.
Rest in Peace beautiful Jill

6 comments:

  1. I wish I had known Jill, but I do now that you have posted such a beautiful tribute to her and her amazing talent. She was truly a lovely friend to you. I am crying and smiling at the same time thinking of Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful lady. Thank you for sharing a bit, and I am sure it is only a tiny part, with us. Sigh. If only I can be so fortunate to leave behind half of the legacy in cloth that dear Jill did..... Carpe diem.
    Rest in peace dear Jill and know that your legacy will live on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss. Anyone who loved roses is someone I would like to have met. Jill sounds like an awfully nice person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Michele, so glad she was my friend too, and I have my own Pierre de Ronsard Rose that she recommended that i plant at The Sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for being Jill's friend and for sharing with all of us the meaning of friendship. You have kept Jill alive as well by making her so real and letting us all know her.

    Eli

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post Michelle, yet sad, it is really a beautiful tribute to someone you held close to your heart....

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x